New Light Congregation is overwhelmed with sorrow for the atrocities committed on October 27, 2018.
We are overcome by the compassion, kindness and support from people throughout the world and of all religious faiths, and especially the Pittsburgh community.
We mourn for the lives taken from us.
We are so grateful for the love the world is sending us.
Our hearts are breaking.
We will not be broken.
May those martyred, Richard Gottfried, Dan Stein and Melvin Wax, of blessed memory, be a new light to the world.
To assist the families of the victims and to assist the congregation, donations may made online or mailed to:
New Light Congregation
5898 Wilkins Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15217
Our temporary place of worship will be at Beth Shalom, Helfant Chapel. Services will be held on Friday at 7:30 PM and Saturday at 9:45 AM.
New Light Congregation is a Conservative synagogue situated in Squirrel Hill with a 100 year history of serving God as Jews. People call us the "most haimish shul in town."
Our synagogue is a second home. This is where we come to celebrate the cycle of Jewish holidays and festivals as well as the life cycle events of our families and friends; to rejoice with newlyweds and welcome B'nai Mitzvzah into our congregation. It is where we come to recite Mi Sheberach for those in need of healing and Kaddish for departed loved ones.
Our synagogue is about embracing the living covenant of Judaism and the Jewish people. Wherever Jews find themselves around the world, they are connected by a shared covenant with God who has watched over our people from the time of Abraham. That covenant means striving for a holy life, discovering new pathways for spirituality and Torah thinking, and investing in a community with shared values.
At New Light we do our part to join the network of Jewish communities around the world; fostering a commitment to God, Torah, and Israel.
Please come join us on a Friday night or Saturday morning for services and see for yourselves the friendliness that our synagogue has become known for. We hope to see you soon.
- Kiddush Luncheon, December 29, after Shabbat services
- New Light Afternoon Get-Together, December 30, 1:00-4:00 PM, Beth Shalom
- January 2019 Bulletin
- Urban Zen Integrative Therapies
- Board Meeting, January 6, 10:30 AM, at Forward/Shady Apartment Building
- Regaining Faith After Terror, January 7, 7:00 PM, at Beth Shalom
- Moses in the Midrash, January 8 and 22, 7:00 PM, at Beth Shalom
- SoulStir, January 10, 7:30 PM
- Dor Hadash Presents Nefesh Mountain, January 12, 7:30 PM
- SIsterhood Meeting, January 13, 11:00 AM, at Beth Shalom
- Men's Club Meeting, January 14, 7:00 PM at Forward/Shady Apartment Building